Taunton Brewhouse is undertaking a new and important programme of activity giving South West artists across genres the opportunity to experiment and develop their skills in a supportive setting.
The Distillery is a real opportunity for practising artists and creative groups to take a step up in their career, develop their practice and showcase their bold, brilliant ideas.
It is also an exciting opportunity for Taunton Brewhouse to establish a relationship with artists at a transitional time in their career, and continue that link as they go forward and progress to new challenges.
The Distillery will celebrate the wealth of artistic talent in the region and to share innovative new experiences.
The programme consists of four strands:
- Distillery Takeover – For a week in September, the building will be given over to a selection of artists and companies to create new performance projects. They will receive space, seed funding and organisational support to help develop their ideas, which will be presented for a live audience at the week’s end.
- Distillery Writers – An eight-week course run for new playwrights and writers-for-performance, where they will each develop a new piece of work while learning about such key concepts as structure, character and dialogue.
- Distillery Mixer – Artists benefit from talking to each other. Dialogue turns into ideas and collaborative work. Taunton Brewhouse will host regular gatherings for local artists, where they will have the opportunity to meet and network with each other in a convivial setting, with refreshments provided and subsidised tickets to a show directly afterwards.
- Distillery Masterclasses & Surgeries – Local artists and theatre professionals will be offered career development masterclasses and on-on-one surgeries run by creative professionals, to gain valuable insight into diverse areas of creative practice, from how to find funding to how to direct your first play, and everything in between.
Upcoming Distillery Events & Opportunities
- Artist Mixer – 6pm, Friday 23 July 2021
Follow us on socials (@BrewhouseLive) for the latest news, events and opportunities!
The Distillery is supported by Garfield Weston through the Weston Culture Fund